Wednesday, February 25, 2009

ZBlog : Answering Your Questions

It's been a busy week at Nortel. Let me just quickly run through the highlights:
  • We didn't win the Verizon LTE deal.
  • We sold most of our Alteon unit for $17.5 million. Roth paid $7.8 billion for it, so I feel pretty good about the deal.
  • We announced another 3,200 job cuts in the coming months.
Obviously, with all this on my plate as well as flying commercial back from Barcelona, I've been unable to communicate as transparently and openly with you all as I would have liked. But now that I'm back, I'm pleased to be able to share all this news with you personally. It's all part of the transformation of Nortel, and part of the great progress we've made. It's part of the momentum that is building to carry Nortel forward on a sound footing. It's part of the long list of achievements we can all celebrate together, because Nortel is really its people and innovation. Take those away and we really wouldn't have Nortel. Well, that's not quite true, because we're taking 3,200 more away and I'll still have Nortel, but it's not a good idea to say that in front of the staff. Makes them restless.

I've had lots of employees email me over the past month and a half, mostly to tell me what a great job I've been doing and how they're dedicated to the turnaround of Nortel. A few of you have some questions, though, so I thought I'd take the chance today to adress some of those.

1. Why should I stay with Nortel through this process?

Well, that's a good question, and let me say this. First off, as Hackney told the guys on his team, you start looking for other work, we'll fire you first. Secondly, what part of we'll fire you first did you not understand? Now, I know that's not easy to hear, but it really is the most motivating thing I can think of to answer this question.

2. Why should we believe you when so many predictions you've made have been shown to be completely wrong?

Well, that's a good question, and let me say this. It was pretty hot in Barcelona, but we had a lot of traffic through the booth. Our customers are standing by us - too close for comfort sometimes to be honest - those booths get pretty sweaty. Our partners and suppliers are with us in this most crucial phase of stabilizing the business. We have to continue to deliver for our customers. I hope that answers this question for you.

3. How should employees who are laid off and have lost severance deal with the financial burden?

This is a tough question, and let me say this. We've had to make tough decisions. I feel their pain - I'm still getting over the jet thing and will be for some time. But at the same time we have to stabilize our business to execute for our customers and keep our partners and suppliers standing with us. I know that the notified employees will take a lot of comfort from seeing how stable we are when we've finished stabilizing. And I know that they will be happy to see how closely our customers are standing by us, when we're standing on the firm financial footing. So even though things might look grim for them, with no money coming in and families to support, I think even those employees must see the silver lining in all of this - a Nortel on a sound financial footing, once and for all, going forward with customers, partners and suppliers. And of course if things get really tough, I can certainly advise those employees to seek creditor protection for themselves.

4. How are you coping with all of this?

Well, thanks for your concern. I'm doing just fine - $5,000 a day seems to be just about keeping my family.

I hope that's given you a good insight into my thinking at this stage. I'll have more of your questions answered in the near future. You can always email me suggested topics at fakemikezed@gmail.com.

4 comments:

  1. Mike,

    you should re-employ me

    why ?

    Because you manage to live off $5K per day and I set myself ( well, actually you set it for me ) a stretch target of living off £8.40 per day ( thats about $9 Mikey )in the UK

    See ? I'm clearly better at managing cash than you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mike,

    you got the first question all wrong. It was meant to ask why YOU should still be around after running this company to the ground.

    Why would the team, who was brilliant enough to orchestrate over the last 3 years a steady decline in value and market shares for Nortel (to the point of bankrupcy) be capable of masterminding the exact opposite results ?

    "What credentials do you have for such an enterprise ?" I was asking myself. Then came the news that you were hiring external expertize. It takes a big (Z) man to realize he reached his "Peter Principle" and go ask for help like this.

    I also have to admit that you're quite a saleman... getting the BoD to sign off on external expenses (Mercer's consultants) while you're putting 5000 people on the street without severance.

    I'm impatient to see the results of your efforts, specially in the area of retention packages for key individuals as was stated in one of Nortel's communications.

    It is brilliant to let this bit get out in public because all remaining employees would think they fall into this category after 18 rounds of layoffs...

    Keep up the good work !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,

    May i congratulate you on the GIS on 25th Feb.

    You managed to mention 5,000 layoffs in 30 seconds and then spend 20 minues talking about a new wonderful AIP.

    Sorry ? Do you actually think we care about AIP after the first bullet point.

    Really, this does show an utter lack of understanding of what you are doing to the staff.

    At many of the GIS over the past years our presidents have asked the retorical question "Why should we stay at Nortel ?"

    We are all asking a very simlar question now. "why on earth did we stay at Nortel ?"

    And quite simply the answer is that we beleived all the promises of "good tiems around the corner". Work hard today and the rewards will be there for you tomorrow.

    Is this is then, the reward ?

    Thereis no moral jsutification for turning out so many people with NOTHING when there is cash in the bank. It didn't have to be all or nohing, you could have cut severance in half or something - at least allow people to put food on the table, was that to much to ask ?

    Even those that stay after this debarcle ( if there is any Nortel left that is ) will really go through every day thinking "If that how he treats my friends, how will he treat me?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Priceless!!! I'm laughing so hard I woke up my wife from her deep slumber.

    ReplyDelete