Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sorry Seems To Be... An Inaccurate Word

I've been doing a lot of media recently - I guess the great success I've had has made them want to get a glimpse of me close up. I prefer to do my interviews by video conference, especially for TV. It's much easier to look really sincere when you're just looking at a webcam. They never raise eyebrows, or look sceptical. I was asked recently if I was sorry about that business of cancelling severances - incidentally, what is it with that? Why can't the media get over that? My employees are all soundly behind the decision... but I'm digressing. I actually had to cough to hide a laugh at the question - I mean, me, sorry about anything? - but I said that I didn't think sorry was an accurate word.

Notice what I did there? I actually said no, but I said it with such long words it didn't sound like no. 

That's a great skill to have. Verbosity really works for me. I use it in my ZMails too. It's one of the reasons I work such long hours, because typing those things two-fingered really takes a long time. And the longer you take to answer a question, the less questions you get asked.

Alepian is telling me I have to go up to this Ottawa place later this month, for the sake of appearances. I don't know how that's going to work. It looks like a real long way in the atlas. How do ordinary people travel those kind of distances? 

When we get there I might get asked some tough questions, although I doubt they'll be too tough - it's mostly egghead types up there, I'm told. I'll have my talking points of course... all I really care about is customers, suppliers, partners .. oh and you lot... but mostly I'll be counting on my verbosity to carry the day. Let's hope noone ever does a Lean Six Sigma on my ZMails! If things look like they might turn nasty I'll bring Hackney along. He's good in a fistfight.

Well, that's another quick lesson from ZSchool. Remember, never say 'no' when you can say 'not accurate' and never, ever, ever, ever, be sorry. Oh, and thanks Jack.

Tomorrow I'm tackling the very unfair criticism that I don't know the telecom industry. Hello??? I use the phone all the time.

2 comments:

  1. Cool looking mugshot in the profile there. I think it can be improved significantly by incorporating the stylized globemark similar to Mr. Obama. Unless you were working extra long hours to create your own mark. After all, you have worked hard to leave an indelible mark on Nortel.

    And for all those who claim their 3rd grader can do a better job you and your leadership team together, I dare the 3rd grader to write a more elockuant Zmail! I bet they can't pronounce elackquint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mike,

    What a splendid day, and another splendid ZMail. However, I am a bit distressed by something: I noticed your ZMail was sent earlier than usual. I surmise, sadly, that you were forced to book an earlier commercial flight back to Chicago, and that your limo driver had to rush you to the airport? The injustice...

    I deeply respect your "hands-off" approach to interviewing, while actively waving your hands during the interview. The more you wave and finger-point, combined with words words words, the more you drive home the "truth" of your words words words. Brilliantly executed with forceful optimism!

    Finally, it is true: I've found telecom to be as simple as picking up the phone and dialing #29 for my butler. Although, I have noticed that #29 does not page my butler when staying at the Ritz Carleton, or even at the Ana Grand Hotel in Vienna. How do you page your butler? Perhaps you would be so kind to look into this telecom matter?

    Best financial regards,
    Jack Welch

    ReplyDelete