Wednesday, February 18, 2009

We're Getting Closer

Well, it's been a blur here in Barcelona. I've hardly stopped - no sooner do I reach the end of my 'customers, suppliers, partners' mantra with one set of people than I have to do it all over again with more. It's actually a lot of work, but it seems to be what's expected. It's pretty hard after a commercial flight, let me tell you. 

As I confidently predicted in my last blog posting, Verizon has chosen Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent to be their initial vendors for LTE. This is obviously great news for Nortel and vindicates my strategy completely. I am glad that my executive team has been able to bring this about and give our hard-working LTE team the recognition they deserve. Of course, I don't personally know any of them. Don't tell anyone that. 

There will be lots more great news to come, and leading Nortel to more of these great successes is just the least I can do. It's still a busy time so this will have to do for now. I look forward to talking to some of you in person and spreading the inspiration around next week.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Mike,

    you forgot to mention how committed you were to the company. Isn't this a trademark on any Z communication ?

    On another note, I'm amazed at the creativity that has been demonstrated by a number of your employees ever since you provided them with additional free time in their schedule.

    Imagine the potential: the same minds that have come up with 40Gbps optics, LTE, UC, CS1k...turning their focus to tools like blogs, Youtube, googleing the web and reading E&Y reports... data mining, corrolation of information, blog posts, etc just for the pleasure of exposing your "true value" to the world.

    think about all this free publicity. You, Joel Hackney, the BoD forever living on the Internet...

    Don't thank the employees, this is only normal after all you did for them and the company. They too want to show their commitment and passion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mike,

    I was touched by your brilliant foresight in predicting which way VzW was going to go. Your plan is working. All we have to do is to move all the WiMax folks onto LTE and then let them out on the street a week later so they can claim to be experts in LTE. I hear that ALU is beefing up their LTE team and the Trojan Horse manure err manuever will work in our favor. Remember the Spatial-Alcatel fiasco with AT&T UMTS rollout? I can't wait to see a similar fiasco once our moles get working at ALU.

    To all those who are trying to discredit you for not waiting until after MWC to file CH11 and for not having done anything significant in terms of job cuts even though it has been more than a month already since the filing, let me quote our past President, "Mikey, you are doing a heck of a job". Ignore these dimwits as they know not how to make a light bulb. I know your master plan. All we have left to do is to convince VzW that they are in the wrong business and need instead to start making light bulbs.

    BTW, don't forget to file your expense report on time. Your wife asked me to pass on this message about VzW wanting to really buy from you. Nevermind, I was getting mixed up. Apparently they want to buy back your cell phone as they do not want you to spy on their network. How did they find out your Plan B?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear mike you forgot to mention, significant positive momentum, making headways with customers, engaging customers with passion etc etc....You are slipping bud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this week nothing to report (???)… this week we’ll only had the great fiasco @ MWC with LTE lost and the Alteon fire sell (for 390 times less done paid originally) … so, no time for a friday's Zmail...

    ReplyDelete